An air ambulance medic has taken his own life after accidentally giving a patient an overdose, which caused his death. Thirty four year old Dr Carl McQueen is understood to have been so heartbroken by what happened that he could not live with himself.

The doctor had been told that a probe was about to be launched into how Lee Hanstock died. The media had given a sedative to the 43 year old patient after he suffered a seizure. But, because he gave too much, Mr Hanstock’s blood pressure dropped suddenly and he suffered heart failure.

The devastated doctor killed himself at his grandfather’s home in the West Midlands after finding out that his mistake had contributed to the death of Mr Hanstock, who leaves behind four children. Mr Hanstock was said to be in good health until the incident, and had not even needed to see a GP for 15 years.

He had begun feeling poorly following Christmas 2015 and was suffering from terrible migraines and being sick around 15 times every day. After calling the National Health Service helpline 111, he then went with his wife, Amy Tipper, to a GP surgery, where he waited for two hours before he was seen.

Rare condition

The GP there diagnosed him with acute hypertension, which is a rare condition meaning that blood pressure reaches such high levels, it can cause permanent organ and brain damage. He was told to go straight away to casualty at Queen’s Hospital in Burton. When he got there, he was given a number of treatments in a bid to bring his blood pressure down, but not an ECG, which an inquest heard could have saved his life.

He was then discharged from hospital, but his family called 999 just a few hours later when he suffered a seizure. Dr McQueen then gave him a sedative, but that drug caused his blood pressure to dip dramatically and he went into cardiac arrest. He was given a dose of 500mg when a more suitable dose would have been 250 or 300mg.