Police received calls and reports that there was a man with a gun at Florida’s Orlando International Airport Tuesday. After all, the man was taken into police custody when the gun was proven to be fake.

Orlando police tweeted Tuesday night “Gunman in custody. Everyone is safe. We will brief ASAP at media briefing location.”

The incident

Orlando International Airport first mentioned the horrendous incident around 8 past twenty when it tweeted, “Incident ongoing involving man w/ weapon in terminal – Level 1 A-side, rental car area. Police on scene, area contained. Min impact to ops.”

After around a half an hour, Orlando Police took to Twitter to appease the public, tweeting, “There is no active shooter. No shots fired. Suspect is contained. Will post updates as we receive them.”

Moreover, Orlando Police tweeted at 9:27, “Armed suspect is contained but not in custody. The suspect is speaking with a crisis negotiator.”

Orlando Police Department Chief John Mina said at press conference Tuesday night that officers questioned the suspect who was identified as Michael Wayne Pettigrew, 26, a former Marine.

Pettigrew pointed the gun at officers and somehow mocked them as he asked them to point the gun at him and shoot him, Mina said. Pettigrew held then and pointed it at his head; however, officers were quick to make him drop the gun.


Glorializ Colón Plaza, 20, told the Orlando Sentinel she had finished working when she saw people at the airport freaking out and hiding.

Plaza saw Pettigrew lying on the floor when the police were surrounding him before they knew that the gun was fake.

“I couldn’t make out the words, but he was screaming really loud,” she said. “Everyone there told me right before this happened a man said to everyone: ‘You’re going to need mental therapy after this,’ then he pulled out a gun and everyone ran.”

He has been admitted to a mental evaluation, as well as, facing charges of an assault with a weapon despite the fact that it is fake. As soon as he had been taken into custody, the gun was proven to be not real.

Social media was swamped with pictures and videos of police surrounding the place.