In Minnesota, a 17-year old son received a lawsuit for his mother. The mother is also filing a lawsuit against the child’s school district, local health care non-profits, and the county’s health boards.  In her statement to a St. Paul, Minnesota court, Anmarie Calgaro said, “It was brought to my knowledge that my son began receiving hormone replacement treatments from Park Nicollet Health Services to transition from a male to a female, with medical assistance paying for this. I was not consulted or informed about this in any way.”

A doctor’s letter was included in the complaint, attempting to address the young boy as being a female, because the doctor says, the boy “has had appropriate, permanent clinical treatment for transition to the new female gender.” Instead, Calgaro and her attorney, Erick Kaardal made sure to address Calgaro’s son as a male. The lawsuit is challenging a law in Minnesota that allows minors to use medical services and procedures, without the consent of a parent. Attorney Kaardal pointed out, “Medical service providers determine whether a teenage child is emancipated.” He noted that it gives a minor the ability to receive “elective, non-emergency medical procedures.”

There is no legal process or law for the emancipation of minors in the state of Minnesota. The state does have a law that considers a child an adult, when it comes to medical care, if the child is not living at home. But, medical care and procedures are two different things. Increasing the size of your breast is not care. It is a procedure. There was a statement created in June 2015, by the son and the Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid: “Mother has made it known to him that she no longer wishes to have any contact with him. Knows where he is, and has made no attempts to bring him home. And, has taken no actions to report him as a runaway or taken legal action to keep him in her home.”