A talented teenage badminton player took his own life after buying deadly tranquilizers 1,000 times stronger than morphine, prompting a coroner to issue a warning about the dangers of the dark web.

Access to the dark web:

Abu Ali ordered powerful elephant tranquilizers on the notorious dark web and had them delivered to his home in Worthing, West Sussex. The 19-year-old was tragically found dead in his room by his younger brother after overdosing on the drug.

Emergency services and officers wore hazmat suits while entering the teenager’s house as his death sparked a large biohazard response. To prevent anyone from becoming infected, his body had to be removed in a biohazard bag

Assistant coroner Christopher Wilkinson stated during an inquest into Abu’s death at Worthing Coroner’s Court that he was ‘concerned’ at the availability of deadly substances on the dark web.

Wilkinson said: ‘Police made significant enquiries into how he came across this drug which is not very easily available. All suggestions are that he bought it on the dark web, which in itself is concerning to me. It’s potency is 1,000 times more strong than morphine and it can be absorbed through the skin; that was why they had to proceed on the basis that it was a hazardous material.’

According to the inquest, Abu, left a note saying he took the drug. Wilkinson added of the note: ‘He had made it absolutely clear to everyone that is what he had used in order to protect everyone else. Abu was caring and considerate to the end. I am concerned about the availability of illicit drugs, particularly through the dark web. Sadly I’m at a loss as to how to prevent that.’

An agonized teenager:

Abu’s brother told the inquest that he heard him playing on his Xbox the evening before his death and then found him midday on August 29 last year. He bought sports clothing online regularly but in the days before his death he told his younger brother not to open any packages arriving.

Abu’s foster-mother Valerie Fryer said: ‘Clearly he had planned it and kept it from us and carried on as normal because he didn’t want to be stopped.’

When they were aged four and two, Abu and his brother had been taken into foster care. Abu had suffered severe trauma in his early years which continued to cause him anxiety and issues over self-image.

Abu had achieved good A-Level results and was preparing to go to university to study sports science, but kept his agony before his death hidden from his family.